October, 19, 2023
Top 7 Signs of Raccoon Activity in Your Houston Home and How to Deal with Them
Raccoons are notorious for invading homes, causing property damage, and carrying diseases that pose health risks to humans. Houston homeowners need to be on guard to detect and deal with raccoon intrusions as early as possible. If you’re wondering whether raccoons have taken up residence in your home, this article will help you identify the top seven signs of raccoon activity, as well as provide effective measures to eliminate and prevent raccoon issues.
In this informative guide, we’ll discuss the common signs of raccoon presence, the necessary steps to remove these pesky critters, and how to keep them from returning. By utilizing Conquest Pest Services’ expertise in wildlife control, you can protect your property and ensure a safe living environment for your family. Stay ahead of raccoon problems in Houston with our expert tips and professional solutions.
Recognizing Raccoon Presence: What to Look For
Early detection of raccoon activity is crucial to preventing further damage and health risks. Keep an eye out for the following signs indicating raccoon presence in your Houston home:
- Noises: One of the most common indications of raccoon activity is the noises they make, especially during the night. Listen for sounds of movement in your attic, walls, or crawlspaces, such as scratching, thumping, or whining.
- Damage to your property: Raccoons are notorious for causing structural damage to homes. Look for broken or displaced shingles, damaged vents, or torn insulation, which are all signs of raccoon activity.
- Tracks: Raccoon tracks resemble handprints, with five long fingers and claw marks at the end. They can be found in soft soil, near your home’s entry points, under rooflines, or around garbage cans.
- Droppings: Raccoon droppings are tube-shaped, dark in color, and often contain fruit or insect remains. They are typically found near nesting areas, such as attics, chimneys, or under decks.
- Overturned Trash Cans: Raccoons are notorious scavengers known for rummaging through garbage in search of food. Overturned trash cans or scattered garbage are common signs of raccoon presence.
- Impaired Vegetation: Raccoons are known to trample and damage vegetation in their search for food. Look out for damaged garden beds, overturned plants, or ripped-out sod.
- Raccoon Sightings: While raccoons are primarily nocturnal, spotting one near your home during the day indicates a strong likelihood of an infestation.
Effective Measures to Eliminate Raccoon Issues
If you’ve noticed signs of raccoon activity in your Houston home, it’s essential to take action to remove them and prevent further damage. Consider the following steps:
- Determine Entry Points: Raccoons can find their way into your home through various openings, such as vents, chimneys, or gaps in your siding. Identify the entry points utilized by raccoons to address the issue at the source.
- Use One-Way Exclusion Devices: Once you have pinpointed the areas where raccoons are entering your home, consider installing one-way doors, which allow raccoons to exit the space but prevent re-entry.
- Trapping and Removal: Live trapping can be an effective method to capture and relocate raccoons, but it’s crucial to follow local regulations and guidelines when doing so. Raccoons can carry diseases, so exercise caution and wear protective gear while handling traps.
- Seek Professional Assistance: If you’re unsure about how to remove raccoons from your property, it’s best to consult with a professional wildlife removal service, like Conquest Pest Services, for expert assistance.
Preventing Raccoon Entries and Deterrence Measures
After eliminating raccoon infestations, homeowners must take preventative measures to deter future intrusions. Adopt the following strategies to keep raccoons at bay:
- Secure Trash Cans: Properly seal your garbage cans using tight-fitting lids or bungee cords to deter raccoons from rummaging for food. Additionally, store your trash cans in a locked shed or garage when possible.
- Use One-Way Exclusion Devices: Remove any accessible food sources from your property, such as pet food, birdseed, or fruit that has fallen from trees. Raccoons are less likely to invade your home if they don’t have access to food.
- Install Motion-Activated Lights: Raccoons prefer dark environments, so installing motion-activated lights in your yard can help deter them from approaching your home.
- Prune Trees and Shrubbery: Trim back any branches or shrubbery that raccoons can use to access your roof or upper levels of your home.
- Repair and Seal Entry Points: Inspect your home for any openings that could allow raccoons to enter and make the necessary repairs. Seal smaller gaps with caulk or steel wool and cover larger openings with sturdy materials such as metal mesh or hardware cloth.
- Install Chimney Caps and Vent Covers: Prevent raccoon entries by installing chimney caps and secure vent covers on your roof vents.
Conquest Pest Services: Professional Raccoon Control Solutions
For Houston homeowners seeking expert assistance with raccoon control, Conquest Pest Services provides a comprehensive range of services to address various wildlife issues. With years of experience serving the Houston community, Conquest Pest Services offers the following solutions:
- Thorough Evaluations: Conquest Pest Services begins by conducting a detailed assessment of your property to identify raccoon entry points, nesting sites, and potential damage to your home.
- Customized Removal Plans: Based on the results of the evaluation, the professionals at Conquest Pest Services will develop a tailored removal plan to effectively address your raccoon problem.
- Safety and Compliance: The team at Conquest Pest Services adheres to all local regulations and guidelines for raccoon removal and relocation, ensuring the process is safe and humane.
- Ongoing Support and Prevention: To maintain a raccoon-free environment, Conquest Pest Services also provides guidance on implementing deterrent measures and offers ongoing support to monitor and respond to any future raccoon activity.
Take Control of Raccoon Invasions with Expert Help
Handling raccoon issues in your Houston home can be a daunting task, but with the right knowledge about raccoon activity, the risks involved, and effective preventative measures, you can safeguard your home and loved ones. By partnering
Conquest Pest Services is your go-to pest control expert in Rosenberg, TX, including raccoon control, offering professional advice, comprehensive solutions, and continued support to maintain a raccoon-proof environment. Don’t allow raccoons to damage your property and put your family’s health at risk–act now. Get in touch with us today to schedule an inspection, and let their skilled team assist you in combatting raccoon invasions with long-lasting results!