Get A Free No Obligation Estimate Now Get Rid Of German, American, Brown Roaches Today
American cockroaches are a dark-reddish brown in color; the edges of their thorax are faded yellow in color. These roaches are very large in size; adults can grow to more than 3 inches in length, but they typically grow to around 2 inches in length. Both female and male American roaches have fully developed wings and are capable of flight, but they aren’t known for actually flying. The wings of the male extend out past their abdomen, while the female’s wings are about the same length as their abdomen.
Cockroach Prevention Tips
- Trash management plays a big role in cockroach prevention. Before those cockroaches come into your restaurant, they come up close to your exterior walls. If you have open trash cans or a dumpster near your business, it should be moved away from your perimeter. It is also important to remove trash from inside the restaurant every day before closing and remove trash from your property each week. The smell of trash can lure cockroaches from quite a distance. And, when cockroaches come near your walls, they’re going to search for a way to get in.
- Reducing attractants is the first step in roach prevention.
- While the removal of trash is key, it is also important to keep trash receptacles clean. Routine cleaning can make a big difference in cockroach populations.
- Make sure all food is stored and protected before closing.
- Make sure everything is clean before closing. Cockroaches prefer bacteria-laden environments.
- Inspect exterior walls and fill any potential entry points. It won’t matter how much you do to exterminate cockroaches that get in if they continue to get in.
- Partner with a commercial pest control company for assistance with Integrated Pest Management. Cockroach control is extremely difficult, or impossible, without an education in pest control protocols.
Good cleanup and sanitation practices are essential to effective cockroach control. When food or water is scarce, cockroaches must search farther each night to survive. Good sanitation puts stress on cockroach populations and increases the effectiveness of baits and other insecticides.
Vacuums. Vacuum cleaners can be useful in removing both cockroaches and their food sources under stoves and behind refrigerators.
Baits. A food mixed with an insecticide, baits are among the most effective insecticides for controlling cockroaches in homes. Cockroaches feed on the bait and return to their hiding places to die.
Dusts. Some insecticides are available in a dust form that can be applied into wall voids that are difficult to treat with other forms of insecticides. Dusts also can be transferred easily from one treated insect to another during contact in harborage areas